Friday, November 21, 2008

the Weavers and the Brides of Christ

Have I mentioned lately how lovely New Mexico is?

I recently went into Santa Fe for a Film Festival meeting. It's a little over an hours drive and the day was truly stupendous. The bright turquoise skies are so clear it seems you can see forever. Between Las Vegas and Santa Fe, the landscape changes about twenty times, making for an ever changing vista that always takes my breath away.

You might say I am besotted with New Mexico.

For the drive, I brought my ipod and looked through my playlists, trying to decide what would be perfect for this wonderful day.

I decided on the Weavers, a folk group from the 1940s through the 1960s. I haven't listened to them in a long time and once again, I was transformed.

Do you know who the Weavers are and have you ever heard them?

A cutting edge folk group, they started in the late 1940s. Comprised of
Ronnie Gilbert, Pete Seeger, Fred Hellerman and Lee Hays, they were true pioneers. Featuring tight harmonies anchored by the amazing voice of Ronnie Gilbert, I always forget the effect their music has on me.

If you've never heard their music, I suggest the Weavers at Carnegie Hall or any of their Reunion albums.

While everyone knows who Pete Seeger is (and rightly so) it is Ronnie Gilbert who always amazes me. She has one of those loud, clear voices that possesses such clarity while conveying so much passion! I really feel her voice is the glue of this group. She's had an amazing life as a performer and an activist, still occasionally performing in her 80s. Quite the woman.

Now, I'll change topics and tell you about a fascinating series I just watched on DVD. Called the Brides of Christ, it's a warm, thoughtful, provocative story about a group of nuns in a convent immediately prior to and after Vatican II. Sounds pretty dry, but this is a wonderful series, quality acting, full characterizations all set during a time of religious, political and social upheaval. It stars Brenda Fricker, Sandy Gore Josephine Byrnes and Lisa Hensley. Also in the cast are a pair of young performers named Naomi Watts and Russell Crowe.

I realize I'm not doing a great job of describing this production, but believe me, if you want fine drama with a heart and a conscience, give this one a look. I think you'll like it.

Just so you know, we are fine and

1 comment:

photowannabe said...

You have such eclectic tastes. Its always fun to hear about whats peeking your interest.
I can see that Life is Good for you.