Wednesday, February 18, 2009

ABC Wednesday-E for Excited

I've been thinking about my entry for ABC Wednesday (the Letter E) for days now, but I've been so involved that I just couldn't organize many pictures.

The truth is that I am just so EXCITED about my new Solar Oven that I haven't been able to get much together outside of the kitchen.



Regular blog readers know I love to cook and have been experimenting with solar cooking for a while now. My interest was first piqued when we got solar on our motorhome. After learning a bit how it works and now having used it for a couple of years, I am sold.

I just got my new, improved solar oven a few days ago. So far, I have been experimenting with Italian chicken, rice, fresh baked bread, baked potatoes (white and sweet), and Brussels Sprouts. About thirty minutes ago I took a Hummingbird Cake out of the oven, cooked perfectly with the power of the lovely New Mexico sun.

Then I remembered it was time to post for ABC Wednesday, EEK!

Hopefully, I'll do better next week.

For regular readers, I'm working on an in detail report on the new oven


3 comments:

photowannabe said...

I think you did excellently being excited about yoursolar oven. You live a wonderful life in N.M.

Suzanne LD Wannabe said...

Awesome new oven! It looks like the one from the first episode of "Living with Ed". Anxious to hear about why you upgraded and your results.

Anonymous said...

Yummy! Wish we were at S. Monticello to enjoy the wonderful smells wafting on the breezes from your solar oven. How long does it take to bake a cake?

Speaking of solar ovens, I wanted to share with you a story I just read in the January 2009 issue of Readers Digest. It was about the Solar Oven Project, started by Janice Kamenir-Reznik. She formed a fund-raising organization (see "jewishworldwatch.org") and in 6 months had raised more than $125,000 to make these ovens and teach refuges in Darfur how to use them.

The refuges made the cookers right in the refuge camp. The women were encouraged to use these ovens for cooking instead of going out into the forest for wood, where they were subject to assaults/rapes. Rapes and assaults in this camp were reduced dramatically. The refuges also loved the food and said their wood went a lot further.

Thought you might want to know, these ovens have also made life easier for women thousands of miles away.

We have had plenty of New Mexico sunshine these past few days and the forecast is for more - so Happy Solar Cooking! Isn't New Mexico a wonderful place to live?