Thursday, January 27, 2011

the World's Best Blue Cheese Dressing

.
Just a quick recipe today.

We love blue cheese dressing, it is our very favorite. The problem is, I can't seem to find one I really like. Bob's is OK, also Marie's, but really, they just aren't quite right, at least for my palate.

Then I look at the ingredients and I know I could do with less of the additives.

So I keep going back to an old tried and true recipe I've had for years. While rich in flavor, it's low in carbs, and since we thin it a bit and use a pre-measured amount, we're really comfortable using this instead of an oil and vinegar dressing.

I believe this was in one of the first low carb books I read, probably Atkins, but I can't say 100%.

What I can say is that this the the best blue cheese dressing we've ever tasted, and the one against which all others are measured.

Enjoy!

Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing

3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 teasp dry mustard (I usually use a whole teasp)
1/2 teasp black pepper (I usually use a 2 teasp, we like the pepper bite)
1/3 teasp garlic powder (again, I usually use a whole teasp)
1 teasp worchestershire sauce
1 - 1/3 cup mayonnaise
4 oz crumbled Blue Cheese (or more if you like)

To Mix

1. Combine sour cream, mustard, pepper, garlic powder and worchestershire in a mixing bowl and blend for two minutes at low speed. I use my stick blender and mix it in a long tall container so it doesn't come up over the sides. Mix it till it's well blended.

2. Add the mayo and blend at low speed till incorporated, then increase speed to medium and blend for two more minutes (or again, till it's all smooth and creamy)..

3. Slowly add blue cheese and blend at low speed no longer than four minutes.

You can blend longer than four minutes, but if you like to have chunks of blue cheese, stop when they're still visible. Otherwise, the taste will be the same but you wont get those tasty chunks.

4. Refrigerate for 24 hours before serving. You can use it immediately, but it really is better after it sits for a while. It also gets really thick so we thin it with a bit of water to the consistency we like. The water doesn't seem to dilute the taste at all.

That's it! I guarantee you'll love this. It's not only great on salads but also perfect as a dip.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

We are also lovers of Blue Cheese Dressing. Thanks so much for posting your recipe!

John
relaxedrush.blogspot.com

Russ Krecklow said...

Now you're talking about some of the best stuff!!! Yum!! Thanks for sharing.

Donna K said...

Now that's a recipe Russ can sink his teeth into. Me, not so much LOL!! I'll stick with ranch but I will try making this for the hubster. He'll tahnk you later...

Kelly said...

Thanks, will give this a try. Really like Blue Cheese, still looking for Camb. cheese. High Desert Cafe/Market was out ...

Pawson Travels said...

Ah! I will try it when I get home. I love blue cheese dressing. Maria's is good but lots of additives.

Melinda said...

I'm so excited about this recipe! I was planning to make some blue cheese dressing tonight with dinner and wasn't too excited about the recipe I had. This one sounds PERFECT!

Melinda said...

Had to come back and tell you the blue cheese dressing was a big hit at dinner! My mom is recovery from surgery and blue cheese is her favorite (mine too!). So it was fun to surprise her with one of her favorites when I took over dinner to my parents last night.

So glad your cataract surgery went well!