Thursday, October 30, 2008

TV on My Computer!

I love TV.

There, I said it, it's true and I admit it freely! I like all kinds of TV and am always interested in new technology.

With this whole high definition, digital thing that's coming next February, we had some decisions to make. While we have a really nice Sharp Aquos TV in the rig, unfortunately, it is not a digital, high definition television. For a while, we thought we would just get a new high def TV. At least that was the plan until we started shopping and realized how expensive they are.

So on to plan B, which is a small box that allows you to receive digital signals over the air on your old analog TV. We were going to get the coupon from the government that gives you a $40.00 discount on the set top box (available here if you need one), but one day I was out visiting various yard sales and I found one for just $10.00. This sure seemed a lot easier than going the whole coupon route, so I bought it.

Fortunately I have many good friends and one of them, my friend Brad, who is very clever electronically, agreed to hook it up for me. While I am pretty good at things electronic, not being one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I took him up on his kind offer. And it's a good thing I did, because he not only installed the digital converter but also rewired my whole television, satellite, DVD/VCR combo setup. Whereas before, I had to get up and change several settings at the television, now, everything works off of the remotes. His work is meticulous and I owe him a big Thank You for his conscientious, neat work.

Once all this over the air digital TV was all set up, I was pretty impressed, and I found myself wishing for something that would record the programs that I sometimes miss on regular broadcast TV (we don't get local channels on our satellite).

So I ordered a small device called a Miglia TVMini HD Express. It's about the size of a pack of cigarettes, and comes with software, a USB2 cable and a portable television antenna and cable. All you do is install the software, plug in the device, raise the antenna and all of a sudden. you get HD and digital over the air television on your computer. And not only can you watch TV on your computer, but this device acts like a Tivo! You can record, fast forward past commercials and back up if you miss something. Then, if you like, you can record shows onto DVD and show them on a regular large television set, or save them to watch again on your computer.

Pretty cool, huh?

After I was convinced that this device was the coolest thing since sliced bread, I went ahead and did a permanent installation, hooking it up to the batwing TV in the motorhome, so now my installation is solid, and I get super reception from a fixed antenna on both the cab over TV and on my laptop computer..

I got the Miglia TVMini HD Express off of eBay for $60.00 delivered. For that price, it's a great deal so I just thought I'd share.

No comments: