Friday, July 18, 2008

Ken Burns Presents The West

I am just amazed at Ken Burns.

I recently wrote about Horatio's Drive: America's First Road Trip, a fine documentary recounting the first transcontinental trip via a gasoline powered automobile. Of course, I had heard of Ken Burns before and knew that he was a documentarian of note, but I had never seen any of his work. (Note: documentarian, is that a real word? It sounds right to me, but the dictionary won't recognize it. Oh well, if it isn't a real word it should be!)

ANYWAY, after viewing Horatio's Drive, it led me to explore the work of Ken Burns in more depth. You can imagine how excited I was to find a series presented by Ken Burns named, what else, Ken Burns Presents the West. We were tempted to buy it, but fortunately we found it at the local college library and were able to check it out.

What an amazing find.

This series covers so many aspects of the westward expansion, I don't even know where to start, so I won't even try!

Just take my word for it. If you have any interest in the history of the western United States, Native Americans, the gold rush, cowboys, cattle drives or any events that took place during the westward journey, you should seek out this series.

Westward Ho!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate and Terry...I, too, have just watched Ken Burns Presents The West and agree whole heartedly with you; it is a beautifully produced PBS program which gave me greater insight into a region of our country that I previously knew little about. I highly recommend it as well!
Debbie, Elton and Miss the Cat