Friday, January 15, 2010

Gifts (and Ramblings)

.
Today has been perfect.

A good nights sleep, waking easily without the shock of an external alarm, early morning is my favorite time of the day,

The morning is quiet, I start my coffee and open the windows of the rig to this.


I go outside for a few moments, marveling at the hundreds of cranes flying overhead. For the life of me, I can't seem to capture them with my camera.

Sometimes memory will just have to serve.

Then I hear a bird, singing sweetly off to the side, and he is kind enough to pose for me.


Such a gift.
________________

I spend the day with my sweet man Terry, reading, playing on the computer, a little of this and and a little of that.
________________

I get a call from a friend I haven't seen in quite a while and we decide to meet for a late lunch/early dinner.

Friends are such a treasure. We enjoyed good food and shared what has been happening in both our lives. We discovered we both needed to stop at the market and decided to get our chores out of the way while continuing our visit.

We got to the market parking lot and there, in the middle of the road was a neatly folded up twenty dollar bill. I saw it first, but decided the only fair thing to do was to share, so we are both better off by $10.00!
________________

When I got home, I thought about that $20.00 and felt badly for the person who had lost it. After all, it is Friday, payday for many.

Then I came across this website.

Haiti has been on my mind of late so I looked around the site and decided to make a donation to Doctors Without Borders. They have an excellent reputation, are already established in Haiti and work directly to alleviate pain and suffering.

Might I suggest you take a look at this website and pick a charity you feel comfortable with, then donate whatever you can afford? Even a dollar will help someone.

Now I feel much better about that $20.00, and I hope whoever lost it can afford the loss.
________________

While in the market, I always look at the sale DVDs, since we are bonifide movie freaks.

There, in the $5.00 bin I found a movie I've never heard of called Hank Williams, the Show He Never Gave.

Are you a Hank Williams Fan?

If not, why not?

Personally I love his voice, and I think his phrasing is beyond compare, but I understand that many people don't care for his delivery. Even assuming you don't care for his voice or phrasing, surely you can't deny his contribution to American music.

Below are just a few of the 700 songs he wrote before his untimely death at 29.

I Can't Help It If I'm Still in Love With You
Your Cheatin' Heart
Hey Good Lookin'
Honky Tonkin'
Settin' the Woods on Fire
Jambalaya
Cold Cold Heart
I Saw the Light
I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
Long Gone Lonesome Blues
Mind Your Own Business
You Win Again

Quite a collection for such a young man. It's hard to imagine what he would have done had he not died so young.

I must say, this movie is not for all tastes, but if you're at all a fan of Hank, I can't recommend this movie enough. Now I want to tell you that when there isn't a performance going on, it can be a bit slow, but when Sneezy Waters (yep, that's the singer/actor's name) is on stage, he absolutely channels Hank Williams.

________________

On my way back home, I simply had to pull over to the side of the road.

Is there anywhere else on earth that has that sublime mixture of coral pink segueing into the intense turquoise of a New Mexico sunset?

I swear, it's a gift. And a perfect end to a perfect day.

1 comment:

photowannabe said...

Drs without borders is a great organization. We have supported them for a long time. Your $20 was money well spent.
Did you stop by my FB post with about 50 pictures from our trip to Haiti? There is such an heavy ache in me for those people.
Beautifully written post Kate.