Sunday, May 9, 2010

More Grand Canyon (in Sepia)

.
Not a lot of things to talk about today, mainly just photos of the Grand Canyon. Having already covered the Tower at Desert View, I though that today I'd post the ones that I think turned out better in sepia. This still leaves a lot of full color pictures, but I like these the best.

As always,
you can click any picture
to see a full size image.


I found myself
playing around with the shades of sepia.
What worked on one photo
didn't work on another.


I will say, we were really lucky
to have such a great sky
for our one day visit.


I'm always drawn
to bare wood against scenery.


And this
is some pretty spectacular scenery.


I didn't catch a shot,
but there were
people who had hiked out
onto this outcropping.
We thought the wind might
blow them over the edge.


One good thing about the wind,
it pushes the clouds
and makes wonderful patterns
on the ground.
I call them cloud shadows.


More bare wood
against the sky.


If you blow this one up
and look really close,
you can see the bird
soaring over the canyon.
And if you look off into the distance,
you'll see a whole other
set of cliffs.


There's wood like this
at many of the turnouts.
I have to wonder
is it natural or placed there by the staff?
Whatever, it makes for great pictures,


As the clouds thickened,
when the sun would peek through,
it was so gorgeous.
We both took tons of shots like this one.


The wind was so bad that day
(I40 was closed due to dust storms),
as the day wore on,
the canyon began to fill with dust.


That said,
the dust made for wonderful shadows.


We had a great day.

3 comments:

turquoisemoon said...

I really liked these pics...thanks for sharing.

Along the Way with JnK said...

Great shots, I love manipulating our photos too. Some of your shots are great, both in color and in black and white.

It's hard not to be a great photographer when you have such great landscaping. Keep up the good work.

photowannabe said...

Great treatment Kate. The Grand Canyon is just amazing.