Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Black Books

Have you ever heard of a series called Black Books?

I hadn't but since I love most British comedies, I picked this up at the library, and what a find!

Written and created by the amazing Dylan Moran, it's absolutely some of the funniest comedy I've ever seen.

Basically, it's a three man (or two men and one woman) show. It stars creator and stand up comedian Dylan Moran, stand up comedian Bill Bailey and actress Tamsin Greig. I have to say, their chemistry is undeniable. The series centers around a small bookstore, owned by Bernard (pronounced in the British tradition as BURN-erd rather than the Americanized Bernard (Burr-NARD), Dylan Moran plays Bernard and he is a treasure, surly with a unique outlook on life that he's willing to spout at a moments notice. Bill Bailey plays his assistant Manny, one of the funniest, most endearing characters I've seen. Tamsin Greig plays Fran Katzenjammer (don't you love that name?). She's Bernard's best friend and quickly becomes close to Manny.

This is character comedy at its finest. In many ways this show reminds me of the old Carol Burnett Show. Do you remember how sharp and funny the interactions were between Carol Burnett, Tim Conway, Harvey Korman and Vicky Lawrence? It was such a great thing to watch their comedy because, not only were they extremely funny, but you could tell how they were cracking each other up all the time. I loved it then, and I found the same kind of joy in this series.

We've been watching lots of movies lately so I'll have some more reviews coming soon. Then there is the Santa Fe Film Festival, which starts tomorrow, Busy Busy Busy!

Oh well, it seems we either have too much to do or not enough . . .

Still, we're lucky people and we both realize that.

No comments: