Thursday, November 12, 2009

John Wayne

.
WOW!

I remember when I was a young whippersnapper and I always poo-pooed John Wayne as an actor. I can distinctly recall saying that he never could act, but just played himself over and over again.

The ignorance of youth.

Somewhere along the line I learned better.

I believe it was when I first saw Red River. Or was it the Cowboys? Or maybe the Quiet Man.

Just today, we watched the Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, and once again, I'm blown away. There is no denying that this man had the chops. Granted, he played many similar roles. But maybe that's just because he had what it took to pull these off, a stature and gravitas that just owns the movie screen.

So, if, like me, you've dismissed John Wayne as a one trick pony, may I suggest that you take a look at


These are all exceptional films, and ones in which John Wayne truly shines.

Off my soapbox (for a while at least).

3 comments:

turquoisemoon said...

Line from The Searchers, Ken Curtis (aka Festus from Gunsmoke)
and I quote..."har, har, har"

photowannabe said...

Fun movie ramblings Kate. I was never a big fan but think I should revisit the old movies.

Delta Mike said...

My all time fav Duke film is The Searchers. Probably watched a dozen or so time.

Anything by John Ford is good with or without The Duke.

"There's right and there's wrong," Duke said in The Alamo. "You gotta do one or the other. You do the one and you're living. You do the other and you may be walking around but in reality you're dead."

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."