Saturday, July 28, 2012

the Rosicrucian Museum

When I was quite young, we lived near the Rose Garden in San Jose.  Not far from the Rose Garden is the Rosicrucian Museum, the largest repository of authentic Egyptian artifacts in the western United States. 

Not having visited in many years, we decided it was time to pay a visit.

The grounds of this Museum are something special and the gardens a real delight.  Unfortunately, I didn't have my regular camera, just my iPhone.  Still, once again, the camera in the iPhone 4s came through like a champ.

If you'd like, click on any image for a larger version.

Here's the entrance to the Museum.


I really like their brass doors.

And lots of mummies.
This is a cat mummy.


I don't remember what this mummy contains,
but I thought the intricate wrapping 
was quite beautiful.


Here's the beautifully decorated 
inside of a sarcophagus.


Then there are hundreds of beautifully cast figures.  
Most are quite small with amazing detail.




These are carved of stone.
The small ones are just a few inches high.


This was a large carving, 
quite lifelike.


A smiling baboon.


Falcon with headpiece.


These were for administering medicine,
I guess the faces 
were to make you feel better 
about drinking the foul tasting meds?


This is a reproduction headpiece.
It stands about four feet high.


Look at the detail on this piece.
It's in great shape considering its age.


This is an actual piece of a temple wall.
Over and over, we were in awe of the intricate carving.


Now on to my favorite part of the day,
the jewelry!


It amazes me that these pieces 
have survived for thousands of years.


This reminds me of some of the jewelry 
from New Mexico.


I'm particularly fond of these collars.


And here's a selection of small glass bottles.


Our time was running short 
as we had Doctor's appointments, 
but we will certainly go back.

Here's a shot of one of the outbuildings 
at the Museum.


One more outside shot.


And here's one final shot I wanted to include.  
The other day, we visited the big Apple campus in Cupertino.  
We drove around looking for a parking space, 
and finally found one next to this lovely machine.

When we got out 
and I saw the sign on the parking space 
I knew I had to take a picture.


Makes me wonder whose car this is?

That's it for today.

4 comments:

Russ Krecklow said...

What...no pelican photos? What kind of a place is that, with no pelicans anywhere. Lovely pictures, even without your "big camera". Thanks for sharing.

Donna K said...

Interesting tour. Guess back then they had time to do all that intricate carving and jewelry making. After all they had to internet to entertain them!!

Jim and Sandie said...

I had no idea this museum even existed. It's so much fun learning about new places from other bloggers. The pieces of art are just incredible. The workmanship is awesome. And I love the "van".

Jerry and Suzy said...

I've never been in there, but Suzy made a brief visit a few years back with our daughter. At the time, she could not negotiate the stairs, so we are happy to get this tour through your phone.