Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Layers

.
You all know I love manipulating my photographs in the computer. Donna over at Travels in Therapy recently wrote an article about the place photographs play in our memories. She also shared a few thoughts about what a great time she has playing with them once she's got them transferred to her computer.

I know just how she feels.

While I really prefer to work on my pictures in the computer, I'm finding so many photo apps for the iPad that I spend an inordinate amount of time manipulating pictures that way.

My iPad, being a first generation, doesn't have a camera, but I've found it easy enough to transfer pictures from the computer to the iPad. While there are many apps that are full blown photo apps, I've found the ones I like best do only one or two things, but do them quickly and effectively.

Using layers in Photoshop isn't a really hard process, but I find it often requires quite a bit of fine tuning to get the look I want. Then I discovered Blender for the iPad. It sells for $1.99. You simply pick two different photos then you have the choice of eighteen different effects, each of which you can use with a slider to get different levels of the effect.

Once I found this, I spent way too much time playing with the photo of the statue from the cemetery yesterday.

Here are some of the results.
In this one, I just let some of the colors bleed through


With this one,
patterns.


I'm not sure why I like this one,
but I do.


With this one,
I really like the vision of the pansy's,
lightly showing through her face.


And finally, this one.


I've said it before, I'll say it again. I LOVE my iPad.

**************************

I wanted to add that I just found a lovely "album" (what do we call them these days?" Anyhow, you can get a compilation of eighteen songs titled Native American Flute Lullabies for free over at Amazon. I love this kind of music, and free is always good. If you think you might want to give it a try, click on the title link and you can download it from there.

2 comments:

Jerry and Suzy said...

Oh, Kate! Please come show me something! When I was using Photoshop Elements (PP, that is Pre-Picasa), I could never do ANYTHING that applied to layers! Probably not patient enough, and now I'm not sure I want to go back, although there are some things Elements can do that I'd love to still be able to use.

Jim and Gayle said...

Thanks for mentioning the Native American Flute Lullabies. We download lots of free music from Amazon but missed that one. It is really beautiful music.