Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Annette

If you are of an age (like me) where the Mickey Mouse Club was an integral part of your early life, Annette Funicello is a name that needs no introduction.

She burst on the American scene at the tender age of twelve, quickly gaining popularity as America's favorite Mouseketeer.  She went on to star in a number of Disney films, had a successful singing career and went on to star in a number of popular beach films.

All of us who love Disney have always held her dear to our hearts, and when she divulged in 1992 that she was suffering from multiple sclerosis, it was a blow to everyone.

With her announcement, the Walt Disney Company resolved to do something special for her.  The decision was made to craft a walking cane to help her get around.  My talented friend Kevin Kidney (a huge Annette fan) was tapped to create the piece.

The cane included numerous tiny reminders of her career embedded into the cane itself (Mouseketeer ears, ballet slippers, etc).  When the presentation was made, Kevin got to meet her and this picture was taken (this was October 21, 1992).


I thought this was so cool, I asked Kevin for a copy of his photo and he kindly obliged.  Today I found it in among my many treasures, and I wanted to share it with all of you.

Kevin has gone on to become a star in his own right, creating (along with his partner Jody Daily) some of the most wonderful Disney collectables imaginable.  If you'd like to see some of their work, click here.

I keep thinking I've found all my treasures, but every day something wonderful like this pops up.

2 comments:

Donna K said...

Now that's a great piece of memorabilia. Surely you are going to keep that piece. Annette was always my favorite Mouseketeer. She has handled her illness with much dignity and grace.

Jim and Sandie said...

I still love watching those old beach movies with Annette and Frankie. What a neat picture.