Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Prescription Glasses on the Web

A few posts ago, I promised I'd post my results of ordering eyeglasses online.

I'll start with a bit of my vision history.

For the last ten years or so I've worn progressive lenses. If you don't know, these are like bifocals, but they have no line, and generally are more expensive than regular bifocals. I also have an astigmatism in one eye, so my prescription is completely different in both eyes.

The last eyeglasses I purchased from a US optometrist cost me over $400.

A couple of years ago, when we were camping at Rockhound State Park, I went down to Palomas Mexico and got a full eye exam and two pairs of glasses for just over $300, which I thought was a good deal.

Lately though, I've been noticing that my prescription seems to have changed, so I began researching my options.

And that lead me to the internet, where I found a lot of information. The first thing I knew was that I would need a current prescription, as well as a few measurements that are sometimes included in your prescription and sometimes not. The most important of these is your pupillary distance, the measurement from the center of one pupil to the center of the other, while you are looking straight ahead.

So I went to a licensed optometrist and got my prescription, which cost me $65.00. I had notes and made sure that I got all the measurements I would need.

Then I started looking for a supplier online. There are many, but I ended up at a site called Zenni Optical. If you need glasses, their site will give you all the information you need to order glasses online.

The downside to ordering prescription glasses online is that you can't try on the frames before you buy, but I have to say, for me, this is not such a huge deal. That's because, my eyes are so bad that when I try on frames at a Doctor's Office, I can't really tell what they look like anyway!

So I went with my gut and ordered a pair of rimless glasses with clear bendable plastic nose piece and earpieces. I also chose the shape and size of my lenses.

The lenses are a lightweight polycarbonate, and after I added a non glare coating, progressive lenses and clip on sunglasses my total was $56.00 delivered! So I pressed the "place my order" button.

The I sat back to wait. After approximately three weeks, they came in the mail and I have to tell you I am completely pleased!

The prescription is perfect, not always the case with progressives. I did have to do a bit of manipulation to get them to fit just right, but that was really no big deal.

I like them so much, I just ordered another pair. Since they're so reasonably priced, I decided to get myself a pair of purple sunglasses, which should arrive any day.

So that's my report for any of you that may need new glasses. These were reasonably priced and they work just fine, so I wanted to share with all my readers.

The next post will be more pictures of Bosque del Apache and the amazing Sandhill Cranes.

Life is Good!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really good to know!! Thanks for sharing. I dread the glasses updates and the expense!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this info, Kate!

I always thought I couldn't order eyeglasses online because of needing progressive lenses and having astigmatism in both eyes. But I guess I hadn't looked far enough. Like you, I paid close to $400 for my last glasses. Next time I'll try out Zenni Optical.

Anonymous said...

What great info Kate!! Based on your satisfaction, I have just ordered a pair with progressive lenses. I have had a multi-focal prescription for years, but haven't wanted to try the progressives for $450+. But for $55, I'll give it a shot, even if they don't work. I will post an update when I get them and try them out.

Suzanne Martin
LD Wannabe

Kate said...

I'm so pleased that this info is helping others.

I would ask that any of you that actually order let me know if you are as happy with your glasses as I am!

Kate

Suzanne LD Wannabe said...

My prescription glasses finally arrived and I am thrilled!!! I ordered progressive lenses for the first time and they may take some getting used to. (I have astigmatism in both eyes and need correction for both distance and near vision.) I ordered frames that were the closest to my current single vision glasses, purchased at Kaiser last year with all the coatings and magnetic clip-on sunglasses for nearly $300. The same thing with progressive lenses and generic clip-ons from Zenni Optical were $54 including shipping. The frames are far superior to the Kaiser frames and fit better.

The glasses took 5 1/2 weeks to arrive (longer than Kate's delivery), but they do warn you on their website that the international shipping from their lab to their US headquarters is out of their control. No problem as I wasn't in a hurry. For those who may want to order the clip-on sunglasses ($3 or $4) I'd skip it. They are the plastic ones you can buy at any drug store and are kind of cheesy looking. I'm now going to order a pair of single vision sunglasses and computer glasses as well. I couldn't be happier with Zenni Optical.

Thanks, Kate for doing all the research on this great internet vendor.