Friday, July 1, 2011

Life on Mars

.
Just a quick post tonight.

We've just found a new series on DVD called Life on Mars. It's a British production and wow, is it ever good. The premise is that a policeman circa 2006 gets in a car wreck and wakes up, still a policeman, but in 1973 Manchester.

But it's not the premise that gets me, it's the acting. While the nominal star is an actor named John Simm, it's Philip Glenister that steals virtually the entire series.

Glenister is one of those actors that just commands that you watch him. Not traditionally good looking, he has such power and presence that after a while, you find him to be the most attractive of men. Call it stage presence, charisma, raw talent, whatever, he is the real deal.

I first became aware of him an an A&E production of Vanity Fair, where he played Richard Dobbin. In that role, he shines. While not the star of the story, he was the one that made the impression on me. I've watched for him ever since.

In many ways, he reminds me of a young Richard Burton. I remember reading about Burton that when he talked to you, it was like you were the only person in the world, he was that intense.

While I don't know if Philip Glenister has that intensity in real life, he certainly brings it to the screen.

Watch out for him. At first, you'll think he's no big deal but as he fills each role, I bet you'll find yourself focusing on him more and more.

One more thing about Life on Mars. I'm always hearing that certain American television series can't be released on DVD because the rights for the music can't be obtained. I don't know if things are different in Britain, but the music in this series is stupendous. Paul McCartney, Elton John, LOTS of David Bowie (the title Life on Mars is form a Bowie song) the Who, the Moody Blues, the list goes on and on. It certainly adds an element to the story.

That's it for tonight. I hope you all have a safe and sane fourth of July. We'll be sticking close to the house.

3 comments:

Merikay said...

Since we do not have TV, I watch Netflix all of the time! Instant on my laptop in the studio while working, or on Apple TV in the kitchen. DVD's when I'm on the treadmill.

I put the UK DVD's on my DVD que and the US version in my Instant que. Always looking for new things to watch.

Donna K said...

I watched a little of that when it first came out but never really got into it. Maybe I should try again. Watched Horatio's Drive the other night and had to blog about it tonight. We enjoyed it very much...thanks for mentioning it.

Angie said...

There was an attempt at an American version of that show, but it only made it through one short season. It's surprising how many American shows are copied from British TV. We can thank the Brits for that awful "reality tv" crap that's taken over.