Thursday, July 7, 2011

Linens

.
As I said last night we've been really busy in the house. Since the mood is on us, we're trying to make the best of it. We're still doing the auction, and looking for other ways to divest ourselves of all our "stuff".

I've been kind of bothered by the fact that dishes don't seem to bring any money at all from the auction. I have a set of china that are very dear to my heart, lots of good memories (but that's another story). I've been holding on to them because I hate to just see it go to a dealer for $10. The other day at the local Farmers Market, we ran into an old friend we haven't seen in years. She came over to the house and mentioned that she had broken a dish just that morning. I asked her if she would like to have mine and she was delighted, saying they were just talking about having to get a new set. It's not that I mind getting rid of all these things, it's just that for some of them, I would really like to see them go to a good home.

Where someone will appreciate them the way I have for so long.

Does that make sense? I hope so.

Since we did well at the local church flea market last month, we've decided to do it again in about ten days. I'm starting to feel hopeful, but we still have a long way to go. I know we have a particular thing, but when I try to find it, it's unavailable. Is it in the garage? The extra outside room? The attic? Buried in the back of the matting room? The possibilities are so many . . .

Terry says we should clean out one room at a time, but for some reason, I just can't seem to work that way. Lately we've been making a lot of progress in the living room (the largest room in the house) and now have some room to actually sort, so, as I say, progress is being made.

The other day, we came across a chest filled with linens. For years, I've collected old linens. I love the embroidered towels, the hand crocheted doilies and especially the graphics on old tablecloths. You know the ones I mean, from back in the thirties and forties, when they made all those linens with states and cities printed on them. Also lots of fruit and really cute children. After finding the chest, I knew there was more, so the search was on, and sure enough, we came up with six large boxes of linens.

After going through them, we washed a few that really needed it, then I actually ironed a ton of doilies and made a very small stack of pieces to keep. I think I'll redo the curtains in the kitchen and bathroom of Cholula Red with some of these old linens. Would that be cool or what?

The rest will go to the flea with us. I figure even if I only get a dollar each, the volume will bring us a nice little pile of cash. More money for our fix up the rig fund. Before we finally leave, we'll need new tires and it's getting to be time to reseal the roof. It brings me a certain amount of pleasure to know that the money we're getting from all these old belongings will fund the rig and more time for us on the road.

4 comments:

Deborah said...

Old dishes and linens are my weakness. I just cannot part with old tablecloths and dishtowels. I don't even care if they are stained! I had the same issue when we downsized as far as getting nothing for dishes. I just packed them up and stored them.

Russ Krecklow said...

Good for you guys....making progress. Putting money into the rig is never easy, but always worth it!!

Hurry, so you can come out and play.

photowannabe said...

I'm so happy you are making such fabulous headway on divesting your treasures. Keep it up. Your goal keeps pressing you on.

Donna K said...

Curtains made from the old linens would be a great touch. Glad to hear you found a good home for your dishes and that you're still making progress.