Monday, July 25, 2011

San Francisco

.
As regular readers know, we haven't been going many places since we've been home. A good friend lives up near San Francisco and is a founding member of the Walt Disney Family Museum. When she found out we had never been there, she graciously asked us to be her guests for a tour of the museum and a celebration of the lives of Wally Boag and Betty Taylor

I could write volumes about Wally Boag and Betty Taylor, but that's another story entirely (feel free to click on their names for more info on this incredible pair). If you're really interested, click here and you'll see why these two are missed so very much.

We had the most wonderful afternoon, but unfortunately, there is no photography allowed in the Museum, nor at the lecture. Instead, I'm going to take you on a photo tour of my day in San Francisco.

Let that serve as a warning before your proceed, cause there's lots of pictures ahead! Keep in mind that these were mostly taken through the window of a moving car, so some aren't as sharp as they could be. And sometimes, you'll see reflections of the windows.

As always, these all look better if you click on them. That way you can see all the detail that doesn't always show up in the thumbnails.

Here we go.
As you can see,
it's a perfect San Francisco day


Lots of pictures of the bridge
and gorgeous old houses.


I liked the way the bay looked
framed by the pilings.


It was such a glorious day . . .


Like always,
I can't resist playing with the color.


The Museum is in the old Presidio,
so many of these shots are from that area.


There were lots of sailboats.


Again, the bridge.


After the Museum,
we made a quick jump
over to the Letterman Digital Arts Center .
You might know it better as the new home
of LucasArts.

Is this the coolest fountain
you've ever seen?


Done perfectly to scale.


I had to include a closeup of Yoda's face.


The campus is quite fine.


Can you imagine working here?


A beautiful bronze statue of
Known as the Father of Cinema,
he's another one you might want to read up on.


I had to include this close up . . .


This is also part of the Lucas campus.


Then it was time to start home.


I guess I could live here.


Or here.


While not as sharp as I'd like,
for me, this just looks so much like
San Francisco.


These are right on the highway.
They have the best ocean views.


Further down the coast, we saw this.
Enlarge it and tell me,
does this man have wings?


Just a few miles down the road,
we saw this.
I would love to fly,
but I think I'm too afraid to try this.


We had a spectacular day, and while I know I'm posting too many pictures, I wanted to remember every moment.

Thank you Cindy.

7 comments:

meowmomma said...

never too many for me! I love them all!!!

Russ Krecklow said...

San Francisco has always been one of my favorite places to visit. Went there after I graduated from high school. Took our daughter there after she graduated from high school. It sure has changed...but it still has a lot to offer.

Donna K said...

Wonderful blog. I've missed seeing your photos lately so glad that you posted a few - never too many!! I loved the video, brought back many good memories. FUN FUN FUN. I love all things Disney but Russ didn't grow up with it the way I did so he just doesn't share my enthusiasm. Great SF photos.

Jonna said...

Nostalgia! I loved SF for over 30 years, gave a lot of my life to that city. I don't miss it though, my new city now has me enthralled. I'm fickle I guess.

It's nice to see the old Presidio looking good. What a drama it was when the Army decommissioned it. There were those (a lot of them) that were angry at the deal Lucas made to take over part of it. I thought he would do a fabulous job of preserving and enhancing the place, I'm glad to see I was right. The others? They wanted it to be used as housing for the homeless. That's one of the reasons I don't miss SF.

Barb said...

Is that the old Exploratorium? It's fun for me to see some of those shots, brings back memories. My parents grew up in SF and I spent a lot of time there as a teenager and young adult. There are so many parts of the city that are memorable. And beautiful. What fun day.

momi yaya said...

My all time favorite place to visit. Been there about 8 times. Just love it. Had a friend in Alameda and stayed there a few times also. I could definitely live there but the cost is too high for my budget.

Bob Davis said...

Although I've never been a resident of San Francisco, I've been there so often that people ask me for directions. I don't get over to the Presidio area much, but have been to the old fort below the south end of the Golden Gate Bridge. I will pass on the info about the Disney Museum to my daughter and son-in-law, who have annual passes to the Magic Kingdom. Thanks for the photo of the Yoda statue; "Weird Al" Yankovic wrote a song parody about him that I can just about sing from memory. Where did you park Cholula Red during your visit? We usually tie down at the RV Park in Pacifica. It has an ocean view for Pat and a bus to the neares BART station for me.
Bob Davis
Helmsman of RV Piscataqua River