Tuesday, April 8, 2008

the Movies

I'm sure I've mentioned before how much we miss going to the movies in a theater.

Both Terry and I agree that there is just something special about seeing a film in a big dark box on a large screen, hopefully without the interference of rowdy neighbors.

Unfortunately, movie theaters are pretty few and far between in the areas of New Mexico we tend to visit. This year there were a lot of movies that were nominated for Oscars that we REALLY wanted to see but never even got close to a theater where they were playing.

But now, they've all come out on DVD and we've been having a mini marathon. I must say, I thought last year was a sterling one for film.

There Will be Blood just literally blew me away. I am always amazed to watch Daniel Day Lewis at work, I really believe he may be the best of a current generation of fine actors. While the movie is a bit slow in places, he literally shines and I feel I can recommend the movie 100%.

I also really liked No Country for Old Men, a fine piece of work from the Coen Brothers. I've loved most of their films and this one in particular.

I also thought that 3:10 to Yuma was a most entertaining endeavor. While not up to the quality of he other two, it was thoroughly enjoyable and a beautiful film to watch.

I guess it doesn't hurt that these films were shot here in the Southwest and carry a particular sensibility that seems to resonate with this part of the country.

On an entirely different note, have you seen Enchanted? I wasn't sure what to expect from this one, but it really is in a category all by itself. Light and charming, Amy Adams is a revelation, hitting the perfect note of naivete and old fashioned charm, the likes of which I haven't seen on screen in years. I couldn't begin to talk about this film without mentioning James Marsden, whose portrayal of Prince Charming is dead on. If you love light and airy romance, this is the film for you!

Needless to say. we are once again feeling more in touch with ourselves, having somewhat caught up on our movie viewing.

Life is good.

No comments: