Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Santa Fe Indian Market Part 3

I'm going to continue my entries on the Indian Market with a selection of some of my favorite artwork from the show.

The selections were so varied, it was overwhelming. In looking at my photos, I realized that I didn't take any pictures of baskets, so forgive me.

That said, here's a minor representation of the thousands of pieces we saw.

I couldn't decide whether to start or finish with this piece. Just let me say that pictures will not in any way do it justice.

This is a doeskin dress, decorated with a combination of seed beads, porcupine quills and Swarovski crystals. I did my best to get a good photo, but make sure you click for a larger version. The bead work is exquisite.

Here's one more piece by the same artist. I sorry to say I can't find my notes to give her name, (I have a severe case of CRS). Her bead work was far and away superior to anything else we saw.

These next three were taken from the car window as we were looking for a parking space! I'm not sure if these were meant to be permanent displays or were just there for Indian Market. As you can see, they were on the back of trucks, but what you can't see is that they are all mobile.

I think the elephant was y favorite,his ears moved ever so slightly in the wind.

The buffalo was so solid looking, we saw no movement from him. The way they had him secured made him look ike a pack animal.

Ah, the jewelry, my true downfall. I loved the inlaid work. The quality at the market was superb.
The pottery was, of course outstanding. This little pot with the spotted frogs was my very favorite. We were told a story of these frogs, that they come out at a certain time in the potters village in Mexico. Look closely and you'll see they have brown and green spots.

Another inlaid piece. The precision of this work is so beautiful.

Thus piece of marble was a knockout. The Artist encouraged you to touch it. Truly a Master Carver. I love the idea of him looking at a block of marble and seeing this.

And that's it for now.

Like I say, these are just a tiny representation of what we saw. It was a unique event and one we hope to attend again in the future.

More to follow . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kate, These are beautiful works of art! What an amazing event! So glad you introduced yourself.