Thursday, June 25, 2009

Best of Show

.

As I mentioned in a previous post, we recently went to the Ohkay Owingeh Pueblo for their Feast Day celebrating Saint John the Baptist.

The afternoon involved lots of dancing, great food and many booths, featuring arts and crafts. I have to admit I was just a tad disappointed with many of the booths, some of them filled with the regular flea market stuff you see everywhere.

But there were some hidden gems and I think I discovered the best of show.

In the midst of the rows, I came across these . . .


As always,
click to enlarge
and see the detail of these exquisite figures.



I just fell in love with these. Their simplicity immediately drew me and as I wandered the Feast, they stayed on my mind and continued to draw me back.

These are created by a beautiful lady named Dinah Baca, who handcrafts each one. We spoke for quite a while, and I was enchanted as she told me the stories behind each figure. They are all inspired by various stories that have been passed down through the years, and I'm just afraid that my pictures don't really do her work justice.


She works in clay and explained the whole process to me. It was a wonderful experience hearing the steps she takes through her creative process, and even though I now know the technique, the art still astounds me.

She works in several sizes


But it was this one that stole my heart.


She has promised to send me the whole written story of this figure, and when she does, I'll share it here.


1 comment:

photowannabe said...

Did you buy it? Its gorgeous. I think I would have been taken by it too.