Monday, February 14, 2011

Good Morning (and Happy Valentines Day)

.
I usually post at night, but I've had a bit of a cold the last couple of days.

This morning, I woke up to the sound of rain on the roof. I've been enjoying all the blossoms on the fruit trees lately and my first thought was, I hope they aren't all gone. We have a lovely old plum tree out my window, and I was so pleased to open the shade and see all the blooms still attached.

Will I ever get used to looking out the window and being able to see again? I hope not. The sense of wonder is a mighty thing, I hope to hold on to it.

I haven't mentioned before, but since we've been back, we've had some problems with moisture in Cholula Red. The Lazy Daze is so well insulated (in addition to the thermal pane windows) that condensation and moisture have never been an issue (unlike every other motorhome we've ever owned). I was a bit concerned about this, but spoke to a knowledgeable RV friend, who confirmed that since we were in a wet climate, and under the trees with not much sun to boot, the Lazy Daze would probably retain a bit of moisture inside. Not from leaks, but just from the climate, and our living in it.

It was OK for a while, but I was getting really tired of the overall clamminess of everything. I must admit, I'm spoiled with this rig and just expect everything to be 99% perfect as it is most of the time. In discussing this with friends who also have a Lazy Daze but spend a lot of time in Washington state, they agreed that they have similar problems, but have found a dehumidifier to be the solution. They also recommended that if we were going to get one, we try a Soleus brand, as they've found them to be the quietest on the market.

Of course I looked at Amazon first, where I found the units to cost anywhere from $175-$250, yikes! So I went on Craigslist and found one for $85. The unit appears to be like new, and is working great. For the first couple of nights, we were amazed to find over eight cups of water had been drawn from the air! Now we're running it at night, and I'm happy to say, no more dampness at all, no clammy fabric, no dampness on the walls, and best of all no condensation on the windows.

We went and looked at the new auction facilities yesterday and it will be such a nice venue, we're getting excited again. We have loads ready to go to them, but have had to slow down a bit till they're ready for more. It looks like later this week, so we should be back on track soon.

That's it for this morning, hope you all have a great day.

*****************
I had to add this.
Terry brought me breakfast in bed
with a Valentines Day flair.


He's my guy!

5 comments:

Big Matt said...

I had far worse condensation problems in my little camper full-timing when I first started. I learned quick that the only sure fire solution was to put some of those louvered vent covers on the roof vents, install a Shurflo vent fan that can be run closed (I don't have ducted heat) and keep the camper at around 65 degrees, or whatever temperature kept the gas furnace cycling to dry the air out.

Electric heaters don't help with the condensation, I've found, as much as the propane fired unit does.

meowmomma said...

quite the opposite problem here in the desert!

i'm growing quite tired of all the blue sparks every time I touch something...

Donna K said...

Happy Valentine's Day to you too! Cute breakfast!! Thanks for the info about the dehumidifier. We have been researching as we will need one here in Oregon when we're not traveling.

Lew and Jan Johns said...

Kate, I'm so glad for your vision improvement. My Dad waited too long and they won't remove his cataracts....he is 99 now.

RE condensation, a Dehumidifier is the real solution. Lacking that, running the A/C and heat simultaneously will work in a pinch. Otherwise it's open the windows&vents and run the heat.

It is amazing how much water two Humanoids and one cat put into the air overnight. SOP with Marco if it is too cool to run A/C is to have a window and the roof vent open an inch.

Jerry and Suzy said...

We've had a dehumidifier for years and find that it makes a huge difference. Yes, it takes up floor space, but it sure earns its keep!