Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Question of Light

.
There REALLY wasn't much to shoot today,
but I did have to make a quick trip to the market.

The more I take photographs,
the more aware I become of light.
Photography is all about light.

I wish I understood it better.

With light in mind,
I decided to look for white objects.

I found these.
I love white flowers,
but I find them hard to photograph.

The detail often gets lost.


Now this next isn't a great shot by any means,
but I was fascinated by how
the satiny sheen of the mushroom came through.
(To see it better, click to enlarge).


This is what attracts me to photography.

Here's a shot taken with an iPhone.
The lighting?
Harsh supermarket fluorescents.
The subject?
Dirty mushrooms.

But for some reason,
the large mushroom (center right)
seems to glow.

This kind of surprise is what keeps me taking pictures.

4 comments:

Jerry and Suzy said...

Kate - not a thing wrong with that mushroom picture. I wish I had taken it, so I could brag about it. You are having a ball with your new phone/camera, aren't you! What kind of flower is that?

Russ Krecklow said...

I like mushrooms. They are good to eat!!! Thanks for a great picture, Kate. Now, go cook 'em!

Anonymous said...

Wow! You sure are taking some wonderful shots lately. You have a creative eye, and a good sense of composition. Keep them coming as I really enjoy seeing your work.

Donna K said...

It's so nice to see you enjoying that camera phone. You sure find things to take pictures of everywhere you go. That's a photographers eye for sure.