Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Blah Blah Blah

.
Another post full of unconnected ramblings, I guess I need to do this every once in a while.
_______________________________

You know, my entire life, I've been a reader and a pretty good speller. I can spell Albuquerque (duh!) and Mississippi and lots of other words that a lot of folks have trouble with.

So I was kind of surprised when I was trying to look up the film Christmas in Conneticut and couldn't find it . Then I noticed a correction and suddenly realized it is spelled Connecticut.

We're never too old to learn.
_______________________________

I'm continuing to love my iPad, and I'll repeat something I've said before . . .

You really have no idea how much you'll be using an iPad until you actually get one. Hard to believe, I know, but it's true.

The longer I use it, the more things I find to like about it. I've written before about the many photo apps, several of which I use every day. I've also moved most of my reading over to the iPad, I use it for newspapers, books and magazines.

And there's always something new.

I've found several interactive books that I've really enjoyed. I've always been a reader, and I find this new technology a welcome addition to my library.

The idea that books can not only be the written word, but also contain pictures must have been a new concept at one time. Audiobooks were another innovation, yet both these are now considered mainstream.

And I believe the next great leap is to truly interactive books. They will contain not only audio and pictures, but also moving images, movies, music, links to extra online media and who knows what else? I think in a generation, these will also be accepted as completely normal.

Now I'm not saying all literature will be like this, but it will be one more choice available to fiction lovers.

With this in mind, I'd like to point you to a website put together by the fine folks at Moonbot Studios. Based in Louisiana, they've created something unlike anything I've ever seen before. It's called the Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore. Part children's book, certainly part adult book, a trace of Buster Keaton, a nod to silent film and just a hint of Hurricane Katrina, it's quite unlike anything I've ever seen. It's not an actual physical book but an eBook (which is available as an app on the iPad).

Take a look at the website and, even if you don't have an iPad, you'll be able to see what I'm talking about.

If you do have an iPad, I can completely recommend the Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore. Even at $5, it's a great deal.
_______________________________

One final thought, have you seen the film My Favorite Year? From 1982, most people have probably already viewed it, but I wanted to mention it anyway.

Perfectly cast with Peter O'Toole, Mark Linn-Baker, Joseph Bologna and Lainie Kazan, it hits so many notes, all perfectly.

Laugh out loud funny, boatloads of charm and an underlying warmth, if you've never seen it, please do so. You wont be disappointed.
_______________________________

Done rambling, at least for a while.

1 comment:

Paula said...

You'll never forget how to spell Connecticut if you remember Barbara Stanwyck's pronunciation in Preston Sturges' delicious screwball comedy, THE LADY EVE. and if you haven't seen THE LADY EVE, why get thee to a DVD!