Sunday, March 15, 2009

Quilts

There is a local hotel that serves an excellent Sunday Brunch so we decided to go for our anniversary today. It's called the Elephant Butte Inn, and it also has a spa, as well as meeting facilities. For us though, the brunch is the draw.

When we got there we found that they were hosting a quilt show, so I decided to take some pictures and post them here.

I'm always fascinated with handmade quilts,
such imagination and lovely work.

Remember that you can click on any image
to see it full sized

Unfortunately, each quilt had a huge
"Do Not Touch" sign attached,
which made the pictures less than attractive . . .
Sorry!


I loved the optical illusion in this quilt,
plus the colors were so rich.


I believe that this one was first
painted on the fabric, then quilted.
Great colors.

I believe that this fabric was tie dyed
prior to the quilting.
Years ago, I used to do LOTS of tie dye.
Doesn't this one look like a color wheel?

I thought this one looked both modern
and traditional at the same time.

While this one looked like it belonged
in an old Victorian home.

Of course I had to include the crane quilt.

Again, the bright colors always get my attention.

This was the most unusual quilt in the whole show.
I thought the creator
was quite clever with shapes

I saved my very favorite for last.
There was a note that said that this quilt top
started out as one single piece of fabric.
The quilter cut it into various shapes,
reorganized the pattern,
then quilted the whole thing.

I think it is just stunning.

After this, we went for a drivem where I took a LOT more pictures, but I'll save those for another posting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kate,
I love the last one too. Artists are those quilters!

Thank you for your ever kind words to me!

photowannabe said...

The quilts have such artistry to them, especially the last one. Beautiful.