Saturday, November 13, 2010

A New Light, and Oklahoma!

.
I went into Costco today and saw something I thought we might use in the rig.

Let me back up a bit here . . .

The rig has an outside "porch" light, but if you don't remember to turn it on, it doesn't do much good (duh!). Since we often go away while it's light and return after dark, it's not been the best of situations.

A couple of years ago, I was in a Home Depot and saw a solar fence light. I purchased it and it has been attached to the outside of the rig using superlock ever since. It always worked well in New Mexico, but since we've been here, the trees don't allow enough sun to keep a full charge on the light. It does glow, but it's pretty dim.

Today at Costco I saw an 8 LED Megabrite Wireless Motion Sensor Entry Light for only $10.00! Since it's battery powered and uses LEDs, it should last a good long time and with eight bright LEDs, it gives off plenty of light. In fact, it's so bright, I think I'll buy another for alongside the garage. It's so dark here that when we come into the rig at night, I need some extra light (I have the worlds worst night vision).

These are also available at Amazon (click here to see it) for $16.00 with free shipping. I can recommend this wholeheartedly for either those of you in RVs or even you who are in stick houses.

I like to share these kind of things when I find them, so I hope this works for someone else.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
And now for something completely different. . .

I love the musicals of Rodgers and Hammerstein. In my opinion, they are responsible for some of the finest music ever written.

I especially love Oklahoma!. The story, the dancing, the sets, the songs, it's just about darn near perfect. And I think it utilizes the chorus better than just about any other musical ever written. These wonderful songs where you have 20+ actors on stage, bursting forth in song, it sends chills up and down my spine.

Combine that with a fine stage or film presentation and it just can't be beat.

I've seen Oklahoma! on stage several times and it's always exciting. I also love the 1955 film version with Shirley Jones and Gordon MacRae.

But have you ever seen the 1999 London Stage version of Oklahoma! starring Hugh Jackman? I have to tell you, that man is just a boatload of talent. He is a fine actor, and what a voice! The ability to sing and act at the same time is a distinct gift that is rarely seen. When you combine it with his beautiful looks and his obvious stage presence, well I must say, it's pretty impressive. Who would have thought he'd make such a perfect Curley?

The whole production (helmed by Trevor Nunn) is outstanding, well worth a look. It goes back to the original source material (the 1955 version changed some of the original) and, upon viewing, you can see why this was such a landmark event for the American stage.

It's available on DVD, or you can probably rent it at your local library. If you like musicals, this one's a keeper.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Great idea for the outside light. We often forget to leave the light on at night and then have to fumble around trying to find the correct key and then make it fit into the door.

Also enjoyed your discussion on "Oklahoma". There is nothing like seeing a good production!

Paula said...

I heartily second your recommendation of the Trevor Nunn OKLAHOMA! Hugh Jackman is a splendid Curly, and I love the he and Josefina Gabrielle dance the dream ballet themselves. Choreography by Susan Stroman, Maureen Lipmann as Aunt Eller--it really doesn't get any better.

Donna McNicol said...

I like those lights, might have to order a couple from Amazon. I assume they are photosensitive so they don't work at night?

Kate said...

Donna,

I'm assuming you meant that they only work at night, not "they don't work at night"? Anyhow, they don't work when there is a lot of ambient light (daytime) but do react to movement in the dark.

John and Judy said...

Thank you for following our blog! I (Judy) love musicals too. In fact the theme song to "Oklahoma" was playing in my head today as we traveled through the State of Oklahoma!

Prettypics123 said...

Thanks for the tip on the motion sensor! Thanks for following A Camp Host Housewife's Meanderings. I'll follow your journey too!