Sunday, December 25, 2011

Hugo for Christmas

.
At the last minute, we decided to spend Christmas day at the movies.

We went and saw Hugo.

WOW! Hugo

This is my favorite film in a really long time.

One note before I start . . .

It's filmed in 3D, which was okay, but didn't really bring anything extra to the story.

Not that Hugo needed anything extra, because this film was superb on so many levels.

If you read the reviews, they all mention that the film is based on a book called the Invention of Hugo Cabret. It tells the story of an orphan who lives in the walls of a Paris train station, his job being to keep all the clocks wound and running.

Because this sounded like a delightful premise and I love the films of Martin Scorsese, I decided it was one film I wanted to actually see in a movie theater (which we rarely do any more).

Building slowly, developing character and emotion (remember those attributes in film? They're so rare these days) it starts as the story of Hugo, but expands and grows into so much more. Characters who start as supporting players enhance the story and before you know it, this film has you completely engrossed.

Besides Hugo (played by newcomer Asa Butterfield), and his friend Isabelle Chloe Grace Moretz), Ben Kingsley gives a subtle, deep performance that for me, became the real heart of the film. Portraying a dour, mean spirited toy shop owner, his story arc was the one that really got to me. Hours after seeing the film, it still haunts my thoughts.

There is also a delightful turn by Sacha Baron Cohen (whose other work I despise). Who would have thought he could bring such delight and subtlety to a supporting role? It was a revelation.

If you're a fan of film, particularly the early pioneers, this film will hold special significance for you. And if you're not, it's still an amazing ride.

And the photo at the top? Well, we had a short walk between theaters and this display caught my eye. I love the idea of a bearded Lady Santa. At first I tried to get rid of the reflection, but after viewing it in the computer, I kind of like the whole look.

Here's another shot of a window display that was drawing all kinds of attention. From a distance, it looked very much like crystal snow. On closer inspection, the effect was created using nothing more than small foil circles. I loved it.


And finally,
in the true spirit of the holidays,
I include this.


The theatre had a standee for Star Wars and this young Father brought his sweet 3 month old baby girl up to have her picture taken. I asked if I could take a shot and he agreed. I don't think she liked the film at all.

That's it for today.
Hope your holidays are happy and bright.

3 comments:

Jerry and Suzy said...

That looks like a movie to see for sure. Love your Lady Santa picture too! Nicely done.

Russ Krecklow said...

Sounds like a fun way to spend the day. We'll have to see that movie! Donna had it on her list. If something is on Donna's list, it's gotta be good. She crosses off the things that she doesn't like. Her restaurant list is getting shorter and shorter! Happy New Year to you and Terry. Get on the train!

Jim and Sandie said...

We don't often go to the movies at a theater either but this one sounds like one we just might have to go see. Thanks for the great review and I love the picture with the reflection. Amazing.