Thursday, April 12, 2007

Petroglyphs, Macs and Goodbye to Kurt . . .

We are now back at Oliver Lee, one of my favorite parks in New Mexico.

The recent rain has brought the desert to life (I keep harping on this, but it's pretty impressive). Finally, all the yuccas at Oliver Lee are in bloom, what a vision! For months, we've been looking at the dead stalks of the yuccas, wondering when they would finally blossom. While we haven't seen them blooming anywhere else, when we pulled in here, it was like we came into a forest of blooms. While more pictures will follow, Terry took this shot last night before we made camp.

Before coming here, we went to Three Rivers Petroglyphs, and all I can say is WOW! We've visited lots of petroglyph sites here in the southwest, but never anything like this. Usually, you can view the glyphs from a distance or from behind a gate, but not so here.

This is a small park, about five miles off the highway, and if you're so inclined, there are two camping sites with water and electric. If you want to dry camp, that's also available. To visit the site, it's $2.00 per carload. The two RV sites are $10.00 a night or you can dry camp for $2.00 a night. These prices, plus they honor the National Park Passports (Golden Age, Golden Eagle etc.) so it's quite a bargain. We couldn't believe that we could drycamp and visit the petroglyphs for just $2.00!

Since we arrived early enough to look at the glyphs, we were undecided as to whether to camp there or not. Fortunately, while it was a warm day, there was a nice breeze to keep us cool, so we decided to just go for it and climbed the mountain. Note: we ended up not camping here but plan on returning in the future.

This is an amazing place. I remember when I read that there were over 21,000 glyphs in this one site, I was dubious, but they are everywhere, and you can you can get right up close and see them in person. We were at the site for over three hours and I took over 250 photos, so there will be pictures at a later date.

If you are ever within range of this place (Three Rivers Petroglyphs) you owe it to yourself to visit. It's kind of out of the way and seems to be pretty unknown, but it's a remarkable spot and you owe it to yourself to see this piece of our American history.

And now a note for the Mac Users who are reading this blog. Ever since I got my new MacBook Pro, I've had a problem with hitting the caps lock when I mean to hit the A key. I keep typing along and then I look up and realize that I've been typing in all caps for several lines.

While reading one of my favorite Mac sites (the DealMac Forums) someone asked about this very thing. Well, it turns out that you can turn the Caps Lock Key off, can you imagine that?

All you have to do is go into your System Prefs, then click on Modifier Keys, and under the Caps Lock Key, change the default to No Action. I LOVE this and hope it helps some other Mac users.

And finally, I have to make note of the passing of Kurt Vonnegut. He died yesterday (April 11, 2007) of complications from brain injuries suffered from a fall.

And what a loss this is.

This man's writings were influential to a whole generation and they certainly touched my life. While probably best remembered for Slaughterhouse Five, my favorite has always been the Sirens of Titan. As with most of his work, the plot is intricate, blasphemous and hilarious, not to mention thought provoking. His stories stay with you for a long time and cannot be recommended highly enough.

I have visions of Mr. Vonnegut in some alternate reality where he can continue to amuse and inspire ad infinitum.

Rest in Peace kind soul, you will be missed.

No comments: