Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Serendipity Part 3

Life is good. I sure hope you aren't sick of hearing this, but it's just a fact!

So here's the story.

We had decided to leave the bosque on Tuesday, Jan 22.  Note the word had in that sentence.  Like all our plans, this one was written in moving water, and once we got to talking about it we decided we still hadn't quite finished with this area.  I know, but we like to be thorough, you know?  After a bit of discussion, we decided to stay another ten days, promising ourselves that we would actually leave after that time.

Now why did we REALLY decide to stay? Because good things were coming our way, even though we didn't know it!

On Monday night, we decided to go to the movies, a HUGE event, since we are so rarely near a movie theater (and lately, when we are, our choices are often something like Alvin and the Chipmunks, NOT).  This is such an event for us because when we lived in Felton, we had access to over a dozen movie screens, at least half of them obscure titles.  A week never went by without us going to a movie theater at least once a week, usually more.  I believe our record was three in one day.

Anyhow "National Treasure: Book of Secrets" was playing and we figured it would be at least one step up from singing rodents, so off we went. It was pretty mediocre, but entertaining in a mindless sort of way.  I love the premise of these stories, but do they not know how to edit a film? They go on way too long and have no timing or momentum.  I really want to see "No Country for Old Men" but I think that's an extremely long shot for Socorro. . .   National Treasure and its mediocrity aside, I was pleasantly surprised to see that Disney has once again started making original animated shorts for theater viewing. This was a continuation of the old Goofy "How To" series titled "How to Hook Up Your a Home Theater".   It was a delight, hitting on the universal frustrations of modern electronics, funny and true.  Let's hope they continue the tradition.

After we left the theater and came back to Cholula Red.  To our surprise, parked right next to us was another Lazy Daze, small world! Nosy girl that I am, I went right over and knocked on the door, and was greeted with a brand new friend.

Her name is Marie and she is from Louisiana (a wonderfully spirited Katrina survivor). Just a few weeks ago she picked up her brand new 2007 Lazy Daze midbath and is slowly wandering home. We talked on into the night, finding that we had a lot more than Lazy Daze in common. She is a wonderfully talented nature photographer (you can see her work here) and we had the best time! Geez, once again, Serendipity strikes home. It's sure a good thing we didn't leave, huh?

The next morning we spent some time sharing and commiserating. I taught her a little about the computer and she filled my head with new ideas for photography (the more I learn, the more I find I need to know . . .)

Marie has been visiting the bosque and Birdwatchers RV Park for years. She mentioned that she was taking Jackie, the owner of Birdwatchers, to lunch and asked if I would care to join them. Of course, I said yes.

Jackie is a delightful lass who was born here and lived most of her 80 plus years in this area. We've enjoyed talking with her during our stay, but the afternoon was a real eye opener. After lunch (hamburgers at the Buckhorn, of course) we went on an extended tour of Socorro and surrounding areas. I have to say, there's nothing like a personal guide for learning the history of an area! In case you've forgotten, let me say how much I love New Mexico.

So once again, we've stumbled onto a new adventure, complete with new friends and wondrous experiences.

Life is good.

1 comment:

photowannabe said...

Pure Serendipity...I know why you say Life Is Good...