Wednesday, October 21, 2009

a Walk in the Fall Woods

.
After being sick for so long, I was afraid I had missed the Fall colors. And I did miss a lot of them. But we took a walk a few days ago and were pleased to see that some color was still in evidence here at Ghost Ranch.

Before I go on, once again, be aware that there are lots of pictures here, so this may take a while to load. And many of them are similar, but I have to tell you, I am a terrible editor and just can't seem to pare down how many images I post.

Terry says that maybe I should change the name of the blog to Too Many Pictures, what do you think?

So on to our walk in the Fall woods.

We took off behind Pot Hollow,
down into a dry arroyo.

The sky was this shade of blue
that seems to define New Mexico.

The trees were this astounding
shade of yellow.

Like I said,
too many pictures.

Every once in a while
the red rocks show through.

I just couldn't resist
one more shot
of the leaves against the sky.


Then I found myself becoming
interested in branches.

Regular readers know
I love black and white.

Then I looked down
and found the ground
every bit as interesting as the skies.

This shot
so intrigued me
that I transferred it
into a fresco painting.
Click to enlarge it
to see the detail in the painting.

I find myself fascinated
with the patterns
on the forest floor.

One final shot
of the intense yellows.

It's interesting, one of the things I love about Ghost Ranch is the sweeping vistas. Now, as I look out the window, it's a good thing I shot the fall foliage when I did.

Today, the vistas are non existent. Winter is lurking, we had rain last night and today we're surrounded by low hanging clouds. It's like we're in a small basin of red rock with a backdrop of huge fluffs of cotton.

Kind of like the little villages we used to make when we still decorated for Christmas.

And while it's not as stunning as the panoramas I've grown used to, it has a beauty all it's own.

I like it.

In my next entry, I'll have some more photos (probably too many again), and relay some of my kitchen adventures.

Have I mentioned that I'm cooking for the ranch now? I'm officially Soup Girl.

More to follow.

3 comments:

photowannabe said...

Truly lovely Kate. So glad you are feeling better. A walk in the Fall air is good for you.
Love hearing that you are the Soup Queen at the Ranch.

Mimi said...

Glad your feeling better sweetie. Tell Terry, there is no such thing as too many pictures of that beautiful blue sky!

Suzanne LD Wannabe said...

My favorite fall pastime is a walk in the woods. Your blue sky is unbelievable, especially with the brilliant yellow! Great pictures again. And you go Soup Girl (Queen)!
You're going to need a cape pretty soon, Super Kate. (And your "FZ35" label for this blog entry--is there a new camera in the works or just wishful thinking?)