Friday, October 16, 2009

Fall is in the Air

.
Where have I been? Just enjoying our annual "the weather is changing so it's time to get a big old ten day cold" ordeal.

I sure don't know why this happens, but it's pretty much like clockwork. Every fall, one of us gets a horrible cold, which we manage to pass on to each other.

The good news is that we have weathered through and are feeling better, so on with the news.

Fall is certainly in the air, and the colors of northern New Mexico are astounding. Since I got my cold before Terry, I've had a couple of days to take some shots of the changing colors.

We even have acorns.
At least I think that's an acorn.

I love the blue skies
behind the vibrant yellow leaves


The many shapes of nature.


Here's another shot,
showing the variety of color.
Of course, that's Pedernal
in the distance.


Kitchen Mesa peeking
through the trees.


A different view of Kitchen Mesa.


One more wide shot.


And my very favorite.

This is the path
going down to Pot Hollow
where the pottery classes
fire their wares.

I took this shot for the foliage
but was surprised to see the deer
when I enlarged it
on the computer screen!

You can click it
and see a larger version.


As I mentioned earlier, I'm now an "official" driver on the Georgia O'Keeffe Landscape Tour. I encourage everyone who comes to the ranch to take this tour. It allows you to see parts of the ranch that are otherwise inaccessible and gives so much information about the ranch and Ms. O'Keeffe. It definitely expands you appreciation of Ghost Ranch.

I love the drive (yesterday was my second time) and I always learn something new. But it's the scenery that really blows my skirt up.

I wish there was a way to explain how this landscape affects me. I swear, it opens my heart and expands my soul like nothing else.

2 comments:

Melinda said...

Love the pictures! I'm taking a photography class and the instructor made a reference to a visit he took to Ghost Ranch the other day so I thought of you and your lovely photos. My instructor visited Ghost Ranch while at a photography seminar in New Mexico several years ago. Hope you and Terry are both feeling 100% better soon!

Suzanne LD Wannabe said...

The fall colors are spectacular, Kate! Your photos are lovely (as usual). We've had a very late fall this year (hardly any color even at mid-October). I'm afraid the leaves are just going to turn brown and blow off the trees with the first winter storm. (They actually should have come off with that last one.)

So glad you are enjoying your new driving responsibility. I bet you could give the tour yourself in no time (but they probably don't want the driver talking and driving at the same time). You'd be perfect.

Glad you are feeling better and hope Terry does soon. I'm just waiting for my fall cold.