Thursday, December 31, 2009

the New Year

.
Wow, 2009 is winding down at a rapid rate.

We've been here at Ghost Ranch since May, with one month spent up in Tierra Amarilla.

It's been cold and snowy here for quite some time now, and we've decided that we've had enough of 12 degrees and slushy snow (regular readers may remember that we were in the snow in Santa Fe last year).

So early next week, we'll be moving down to Bosque del Apache, where we've wintered for several years now.

Both of us are excited to be going back to Socorro. Many of our favorite restaurants are there, not to mention the Buckhorn in San Antonio. There is also a nice, newly renovated movie theater, a great thrift store and a nice selection of supermarkets. Ghost Ranch has been wonderful, but I have to admit, we're looking forward to a bit more civilization.

And then there are the sandhill cranes. . .

But for now, we're still here at Ghost Ranch for a few more days. Lately I've been shooting like crazy, then playing with my pictures in Photoshop. I seem to run in cycles, and right now, I'm in the middle of a saturation cycle.

I look at the many photographs I see of Ghost Ranch, and I'm usually in awe of photographer's ability to capture this magical place. I see some folks who seem to go heavy on the saturation, then others who go straight to black and white.

I seem to be all over the place, never sure where each series of photos will take me.

This set seemed to look best with the saturation turned down low, but not all the way to black and white.

So without further comment, here's probably my last Ghost Ranch series for a while.

in front of the office


facing Kitchen Mesa


towards Corral Block


trees, heavy with snow


a tiny bird


the snow glitters like diamonds


chimney in snow


clouds on cliffs


I know.
I went a bit overboard
on the color here,
but I liked the look . . .


cliffs peeking through snow


again, chimneys


red mounds


horses in the wild


As always, any image can be enlarged by clicking.

So this is my final post for 2009.

I'm looking forward to 2010,
sure that it will be a fine time.
Hope you are all
having a good New Years Eve.

As always, remember

No comments: