Monday, March 21, 2011

REALLY Good Cauliflower

.
Now that we're back from our little vacation to Morro Bay, we're back on the straight and narrow low carb lifestyle.

Being somewhat bored with our regular fare, I started searching my gigantic file of recipes for something different to add to our regular meals.

We both love cauliflower, and I fix it in a number of ways. Roasted, steamed, fried, mashed, made into a potato salad (no one ever notices that it's cauliflower instead of potatoes), we love it all.

But I wanted something different that would spice it up just a bit, and I found a recipe that sounded like a good place to start.

Easy enough, you just cut it up into florets, mix a bit of mustard and olive oil to coat the cauliflower, then pop it in the oven.

This sounds really promising! Like always, I followed the instructions for a new recipe.

Well, I almost followed them.

I thought that a bit of blue cheese dressing mixed with the olive oil and mustard would brighten it up a bit. Then, because I would be roasting it, I decided to throw in a couple of handfuls of whole garlic cloves (I love that I can buy a huge bag of peeled garlic at Costco, makes these kinds of additions so easy).

Then I decided to chop up a couple of pieces of bacon for extra flavor. Yum! This was listed as optional in the original recipe, but it really added a nice smoky underflavor. Then into a 350 degree oven for about an hour and boy, was this tasty!


Next time I will make a few modifications. It came out a bit oily and I believe that that's because of the olive oil. Next time, I'll mix the mustard and blue cheese dressing with just enough water to coat the cauliflower. That way the only oil will be from the bacon. I might also try adding some onions.

I love roasted veggies, and the sauce really spiced it up nicely, adding a bit of zip without overpowering the sweetness of the roasted cauliflower.

I might also try this with broccoli or Brussels sprouts, or maybe a combination of all three.

In any case, it's a keeper for future meals.

1 comment:

Donna K said...

I'll have to try that...for Russ! He loves cauliflower but me, not so much. I know, I know, I need to eat more veggies (I'm trying, honest). Take care.