Monday, July 7, 2008

YUM!

As most of you probably already know, I love to cook.

That said, there's the issue of recipes . . .

Since we've been in Cholula, I've pretty much gone paperless recipe wise except for my one old standby, the 1963 Good Housekeeping Cookbook.

For all my online recipes, I just email them to myself, which means I have a huge bunch of emails in one file called simply "Recipes". Unfortunately that file also includes a ton of other foodie type info, but still, it's searchable and it has worked for me so far.

But I'm always on the lookout for a good computerized recipe organizer. Unfortunately, most of the ones I've found only work on Windows and I'm on a Mac. Now my Mac, which I LOVE, will run Windows, but the truth of the matter is that I've just been too cheap to buy a copy of Windows XP, so there!

Back to the recipes.

Today, on one of the many blogs I read, someone was touting the newest recipe organizer and sure enough, it was for Windows. Then, as I read the comments section, someone mentioned a little Under-Ware ap called YUM!

Under-Ware applications allow the user to decide payment, similar to the old shareware applications, but they let you, the end user, decide the payment. A nice arrangement, and one I respect greatly.

Back to YUM! This is a swell program, with a very light learning curve. You can easily post your recipes, then the entire file is searchable, you can create categories, import photos and even scale recipes for different numbers of servings. Everything is printable, viewable in various formats and, well, gosh, it's just the cats meow!

I like it!

So, if, like me, you're on a Mac, I can highly recommend this program. And if you want, I can send you a file with eighty or so of my favorite recipes, easily imported into your copy of YUM! Just post a comment or send me an email and I'll send it right to you.

Life is good!

No comments: