Thursday, November 27, 2008

Some of the things I'm thankful for

Generally, I'm a pretty happy person. Around this time of year, I see everyone making thankfulness lists and I feel like I should also.

Number one is my wonderful husband Terry. Regular readers know how special he is, so I won't go on again. Just know he is the best thing in my life.

I am also thankful for our lifestyle. Who could ask for more? As an example, I'll post a few pictures I've taken in the last couple of weeks.

Sunset at Storrie Lake
How can you not be thankful for this kind of majesty?


There was a time when I didn't realize
that this color actually existed in nature.
Who knew?

I took this last night.
For any readers who might remember my Disney days,
Do you see a hint of Chernabog?

After the shot above,
the sky transformed into this.
I LOVE New Mexico skies
(remember to click for a larger version)


So that's just a few of the many things I'm thankful for. That said, I've had a pretty wonderful Thanksgiving day!

I woke about 8am and looked out the window to discover a rainy day, and decided to make this a relaxed Thanksgiving. I'm currently reading Twilight by Stephanie Meyer, and I'm liking it a lot. Even though it is written for young ladies (I believe the target group is about fourteen years of age) I like the way Ms. Meyer writes and find myself engaged with the characters. I think I'll have to read the whole series!

So I spent this Thanksgiving morning all snug in my bed with a good book. Is there any thing better to be thankful for?

Then I remembered the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I was a bit late and Terry was still sleeping, so I decided to surprise him with orange frosted cinnamon buns, yum. By the time we we settled in for the Parade, it was almost over. Somehow I wish I could watch it without all those commercials, still it's a fun event. Watching the crowds on the streets is my favorite part, it really seems to start the season.

Finally, about 11:30 we decided it was time to start thinking about dinner. We spent yesterday afternoon making candied pecans and fixing our turkey for today. This year, as last, we got a turkey breast, which we butterflied, then stuffed with dressing and fresh sage. Then we roll it up like a big Tootsie Roll. Then we wrap it with bacon, roll it in parchment paper, then wrap the whole thing in tin foil. See why we do this the day before?

So we put the turkey in the oven, started the stuffing (done in a casserole, the stuffing in the turkey just isn't enough). Then I started on a cranberry salsa (fresh cranberries, some orange zest, a bit of sugar, an apple, a fresh Serrano chili, a bit of lime juice a pinch of salt and a healthy dose of fresh cilantro). This was the perfect thing to snack on while we were doing the actual cooking!

Our good friend Debbie joined us and brought a whole new set of dishes to our table, including carrots cooked with ginger and chili (a new favorite) and Paula Deen's green bean casserole. She also made fresh cranberry sauce and a tasty pumpkin cobbler.

Oh and we also had sourdough rolls and mashed potatoes and gravy

I have to admit, it was a totally decadent meal, but we have leftovers that will last us for days and days. Here's a picture!



My turkey roll didn't quite hold together this year, so while it looks kind of funky in the picture, believe me, it was delicious.

After this lovely meal, we sat around and digested for a while, another of my favorite parts of Thanksgiving.

When we finally decided it was time to go out to the rig, this is what greeted our eyes!

Being a California girl, I have to admit I am still awed by the beauty of the first snow.

I do love my life, and every day of the year, I try to remember that

1 comment:

photowannabe said...

This sounds like the perfect Thanksgiving. What a wonderful day and you literally got the frosting on the cake...snow.
I'll email you in a few days.
Suzy