Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Again, Hummingbirds

.
I haven't been writing much about our hummingbirds, but that doesn't mean they haven't been around.

My fascination with these little guys continues, I guess it will be with me forever.

It helps that my camera will actually take pictures of these guys. This allows me to study them in closeup, and every time I see a new close up shot, I'm amazed all over again.

I know I always say this, but these shots really do need to be viewed in a larger size, so make sure to click on any one you like to see more detail. Please note these were all taken through the less than sparkling windows of the motorhome, so they really aren't as sharp as they could be.

But they're the best I could do.

Hummingbird tongues,
thin as a needle
always busy.


They don't seem to mind sharing.


Waiting in line.


I had to enlarge this face,
this fabulous face.


The little feathers
combine
in such gorgeous patterns


A Rufous


The next two shots
are sort of strange,
but I loved
the color and the movement


And PLEASE
excuse my dirty windows


We're leaving Ghost Ranch for a month on Sunday, and I will certainly miss these guys.

All I can hope for is that a few of them will hang around for our return in September,

3 comments:

Suzanne LD Wannabe said...

Those hummingbird photos are spectacular!!! The details on the feathers. And I'm continually amazed at how generous the NM hummers are to one another. Not so of the Anna's I feed here at work. They're very protective of their food source. Thanks for posting.

Mimi said...

Beautiful as always. even the strange movement ones. I think those are actually my favorites.

Although the one hovering and looking right in the window....... priceless!

Sistertex said...

The photos of the hummingbirds are just fantastic! I can see why you will miss them, they are beautiful.