Monday, September 14, 2009

This and That

.
We've been busy doing a whole lot of nothing. Visiting friends, watching movies, enjoying the landscape. Nothing exciting, but just my kind of entertainment.

I was out in the campground
and took this photo
of one of the bluffs on the mesa.


I looked a bit closer. . .

And realized
someone had decided
to take special advantage
of the astounding views.

Pretty cool, huh?

While I'm writing about a little of this and a little of that, I wanted to share information about a local entrepreneur who has caught my interest. His name is Robert Archuleta and he has a small one man shop in the village of Los Ojos. He takes old tires and plastic beads and makes wonderful floor/door mats. Not only are they incredibly durable, but they are so good looking! And very environmentally friendly.

A few weeks ago, we bought one for outside the rig, using all red beads. Then I got to thinking . . .

We have a step right inside the door which has a permanent rubber mat, but it is ALWAYS dirty and not very attractive. I spoke to Robert, gave him the dimensions and had him make a mat for that space. He made it up to my specs and charged me a whopping $8.00. What a deal!

Now, all the small rocks and dirt sink to the bottom of the mat and the rig is staying much cleaner.

Here's a photo.

We have so many thrilling adventures that this kind of a find is exciting enough to warrant mention on the blog!

What can I say, except that

3 comments:

Suzanne LD Wannabe said...

Your little doormat is beautiful, functional and a real bargain to boot! How imaginative to turn a tire doormat into a piece of art with beads. That little town has a lot of talent.

photowannabe said...

Love it Kate. I get a lot of pleasure from supporting local artisans. I think the mat is a wonderful idea.

said...

We will definitely put Los Osos on the visiting list this fall. Can't wait to get there--I just returned from a conference in Santa Fe (traveling by airplane--ick!), but I was reminded again about how special New Mexico is. Oh, the food.... I was at a Slow Money (sister org to Slow Food) conference, and all the meals were full of local, organic produce, eggs, and meats. Yum. The final meal included Native-raised meat (bison-stuffed green chiles) and breads, including a special blue-corn/ash bread (name escapes me) blessed by the elders. Very special. Land of enchantment, indeed.
--Julie