Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Dancers

Boy do I love musicals. I always have and I guess I always will.

So it was with great sadness that I read that the sublime Cyd Charisse passed away yesterday.

What a loss this was to us all.

In the world of cinema dancers, she stood tall as the favorite partner of many famous hoofers. I loved it when Fred Astaire said of Cyd Charisse "When you've danced with her, you stay danced with."

I was kind of amazed when I read that she was only five feet six inches tall. She seemed SO tall in her films. Perhaps this can be attributed to her exceedingly long and shapely legs. In 1952, her legs were insured for five million dollars, and in many a fans opinion, worth every cent.

Trained as a ballerina (she joined the Ballet Russe at 13) her movements were strong and languorous, always beautiful to watch. She brought a unique mix of sensuality and sexuality to her roles, always maintaining an aura of grace and class.

She also enjoyed a long and happy marriage to Tony Martin (they celebrated their sixtieth wedding anniversary on May 15) and continued to work on stage and in television late into her life.

RIP Cyd, you will be missed.

And now on to another dancer.

I was clicking around the internet and came across this clip.



Geez, I have to ask, what the heck happened to Michael Jackson.? Say what you will about his admittedly bizarre actions, that boy could sing, and oh my gosh, could he dance? Like magic.

I wish I could go back in time and change whatever happened to his career, because I feel like all of us have been cheated by the loss of his unique and wonderful talents.

Sad.

But now I'm going to go and watch Brigadoon and remember the glorious Cyd.

Life is good.

NOTE: This is the first time I've embedded a clip in my blog, so I'm asking for feedback. Do you like it? Do you Hate it? Comments please.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved it! You're amazing too. More More!

Lorna