Thursday, February 2, 2012

the 10th Kingdom (and Maps)

.
Have you ever heard of the 10th Kingdom?

I hadn't, but since I've been doing nothing but staying in (still sick, will I ever get well?) I've been combing the library database on my computer and sending Terry for things to watch.

I found the 10th Kingdom, and it piqued my interest. A modern fantasy with roots in all the old fairy tales, it tells the story of a modern girl and her Father who are transported to a parallel world.

I don't want to tell you any more of the story, but I will tell you this. It's quite long at almost seven hours, but for me, the story just flowed. Bolstered by great characters, sharp writing and really fine acting, it's a treasure.

While many of the characters are based on those from fairy tales, this is definitely not for children. I don't think young, fairy tale aged children would enjoy it, but it's certainly appropriate for older young ones. Think Lord of the Rings.

Speaking of Lord of the Rings, this is every bit as impressive. Beautiful creations, stunning makeup, the CGI is seamless and the makeup, WOW!
The costumes and sets are equally impressive, and since there are major women characters, the jewelry is really eye-popping.

And did I mention the BeeGees and Procul Harem?

I was doubly impressed when I realized that this was done one year before Lord of the Rings. And it was made for television.

Rent it and let me know what you think.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Okay one more, completely unrelated thing.

Do you like the Frommer's Travel Guides? I think they're fun to look at, especially when we're not traveling much (like now). I also like their maps, and I recently found a link to a website that lets you download every single map from all the Frommer's books.

If you're interested, here's a link.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

3 comments:

Donna McNicol said...

I first watched 10th Kingdom with my late husband when it was a mini-series on TV. I absolutely LOVED it and had to buy the movie.

Don't know it you like country music, but the girl that played the lead (John Laroquette's daughter) is married to Brad Paisley.

Gaelyn said...

Don't have TV so must have missed the 10th Kingdom amongst all the Lord of the Rings promo (which I Love having read the books dozen of times. Will have to keep my eyes open at the library for the 10th.

Thanks for the maps link.

Donna K said...

Haven't heard of that movie but it sounds interesting. So sorry you are still not well. Hope you start feeling better soon.