Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Back from LA (and More Rambling)

So many thoughts running through my head today, very strange.

I have a lot of pictures to cull through from the trip.  It was short and almost perfect, but I'll write about that later.

Today, my thoughts are on health.

It was easier than I thought, eating healthy and continuing my exercise program.  I continue to try to live in the present, not letting old failures drag me down.  It seems that as long as I remember that this is now and not a presdestined repeat of my past, I do well.

As to the walking, I find I rather enjoy it, but I am having a bit of a time with my leg muscles.  I hardly believe that just walking could affect me so, but perhaps that's why my thighs and calves are sore?

I'm going to try new shoes and see what that does.  So far, Adidas seem to be the best for my feet (size 10, very wide, exceptionally high arch, high instep and a tendency towards Plantar Faciitus).  I'm also ordering a pair of walking shoes specifically made for people with Plantar Faciitus.  Since I'm ordering from Zappos, they will send me the shoes and I'll be able to try them on in the comfort of my own home, then send back the ones I don't like.  And they pay the postage both ways!

Don't you just love Zappos?

In looking for food that was good and healthy, we came across a place called Zankou Chicken in Glendale (we were staying with friends nearby).

While we walked in ordering chicken, I saw that they had shawarma, which I just had to try.  Have you seen the Avengers?  If so, you'll get the shawarma reference.  I had never heard of it before the film, but seeing it on the menu, I just had to try it.  And Oh My God!  It's my new favorite way to eat beef.

Sort of like the meat they use for Gyros, this was seasoned unlike anything I've ever had before.  To the best of my tastebuds, I think cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, garlic and then there's more flavors that I just cannot identify.  If anyone knows, please share.

Then, there was this garlic sauce.  It was, I swear, the nearest thing to heaven I've ever tasted.  I bought extra to bring home so I could try to re-create it.  If I am successful, be sure that I'll share.

In closing, I'll add just one shot.  We had stopped to stretch our legs when we spotted this little one up in a rafter building his (or her) mud nest.  I liked the way it just looked at me, like I was really intruding into a spot where I had no business. 

Keep in mind that with my SX40, 
I was probably twenty feet away!


That's it for today, pictures tomorrow.

And remember
It's Never Too Late
To Live Happily Ever After,
because

 

1 comment:

Jim and Sandie said...

I would think that with a concentrated walking program, you are probably walking differently than when you just stroll along. So you would be using different muscles and also using the normal ones in a different manner. That would make them hurt. But shoes are so very important. I suffer from leg cramps if I walk too far. Of course, I never walk very far so I'm okay. lol
Never heard of your beef stuff before. Now I'll be on the look out for it.