Sunday, June 10, 2012

Roller Derby Part 2

Well, we went and my feelings are mixed.

First, let me say I have the utmost respect for anyone who's brave enough to get out there and skate in public, much less in a pack, with people pushing and shoving.

But let me start at the beginning.

We got to the auditorium and were kind of surprised to see that this was going to be a flat track, rather than the banked track we were expecting.

To keep spectators off the actual skating floor, they had colorfully dressed "guards" posted all around the perimeter.  I found them almost as interesting at the skaters.

Some wore tutus



Some were in mean looking boots.



And some even wore these.
Attractive, but there was a lot of standing.
These wouldn't be my first choice,
but then, what price beauty?



Finally, the girls took the floor.



They came in all sizes, 
some large, some small.



But once they got out on the floor, 
they went for it.



Elbows weren't allowed



And if you fall, no one stops, 
they just go right over you.



The girls with the stars on their helmets are the scorers,



also known as jammers.



All of this would have been fine, but I swear, the time outs were worse than football (not that I've ever seen a football game . . . ). 

If they were ever out there for longer than 60 seconds, I'd be surprised.  Someone was always calling a time out, or a foul, or stopping the action for one reason or another.

For me, it made it pretty boring.  I didn't go to see blood and guts, but it would have been nice to see some hard core skating, and this just wasn't the venue.

Terry and I both think it would be more exciting to see roller derby on a banked track.

Now for the fun part.
I loved all the names!

As you can see here,
Hester Sinn, Adultr8
the Secret Cervix
Gloria Mayhem
Dee Fender
Heartless Harpy
and my favorite
Polly Kneesya



We had fun, but it won't be part of our regular routine.

Now, if a banked track showed up in the area, 
that might be another story.

But that's it for tonight.


 

6 comments:

Donna K said...

I've never heard of roller derby without a banked track...but then it was 50 years or more ago when I watched with my dad! Back then there were lots of elbows - allowed or not. But I think a lot of it was like wrestling - just a show.

Gaelyn said...

I'll bet spectators go for more than the skating. Think I'll pass. But love the names. And some of the regalia.

Sam&Donna Weibel said...

Boy this brings back memories, who can forget the likes of Sally Calageras of the Bay Area Bombers. Remember the movie with Raquel Welch.If that didn't start the on rush of Puberty nothing did. I'll bet it would have been more fun if the track was banked and the spirit of the old teams were there. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna.

Jim and Sandie said...

Saw women's roller derby back in the 70's and it was very different than what you described. Definitely a banked track and they very seldom stopped the game for anything unless it was an extremely serious violation of some kind or a serious injury. Not anything minor like an elbow. A lot more fun than such a carefully controlled, patrolled game.

Jimbo said...

Having lived in So Cal I was glued to the tube when roller derby came on. Also a banked track and lots of elbows. I always remember Ralphie Valedarous.

Pam said...

Have you seen the movie "Whip It"? Great fun, much better than the previews looked! Ellen Page, Drew Barrymore and Kristen Wiig were fantastic in it! They all had great names, too.