Monday, June 18, 2012

the Perfect iPad Bag

I wrote a few days ago about iPad bags and today I'd like to expand.

If, like me, you're a tech junkie, you understand that sometimes the accoutrements of all these devices can quickly outpace the price of the devices themselves.

I've finally found a bag for each pf my cameras, an everyday bag that allows me to carry my Canon SX40 and my iPad, I have Cotton Carriers for when I don't want to carry a bag (yes, I have one vest and one belt model, different needs ya know).  But I haven't found a bag for when I just want to run out of the house with my iPad and a few other goodies.

The problem (as I see it) is that most bags are black, and usually aimed squarely at the tech crowd (read that as incredibly unattractive).  I really want something that doesn't scream nerd to everyone who looks at it, and at the same time, makes me smile when I look at it.

Now there are some attractive bags out there, but they usually carry designer names and start at $100 or more, not for me.

Then, when we were at the Japanese Cultural Festival, I found the answer to my dreams.  There was a booth, filled with beautiful fabrics, all made into bags of various sizes.  You can imagine how excited I was when I realized these were just the size to fit an iPad.


Wow, I was in heaven, look at all those choices! The booth was run by a delightful woman named Thom, and she makes all the bags herself.  And just in case you don't have an iPad, she also makes them for the Kindle and the Nook.  She also makes an assortment of beautiful tote bags as well in a variety of other sizes. 

Three things set Thom's bags apart. 

First, she has an incredible eye for fabric.  I really couldn't believe the assortment.  Then once we got to talking, she told me about others she didn't bring along.  She will be sending me pictures of other fabrics, and I can hardly wait.

Second, she is very careful with the design of the fabric.  She makes sure that each design perfectly fits the fabric.  For example, she had a beautiful geisha fabric, but would only use it on a full size bag so that the whole graphic would show on the finished product.

Thirdly, the iPad bags, padded for protection and including a finished pocket on the front for other items sell for only $20.00!  Is that a great deal or what?

Here's a picture of the one I bought, front and back.


That said, when she sends me pictures of additional fabric, I may have to buy another. 

Unfortunately she doesn't have a website yet, or I'm sure she would never be able to keep up with demand, so if you're interested in one of these bags, email me and I'll give you her contact number. 

**************

We've been good about walking, going every day, so the scenery gets kind of monotonous and I'm not finding a lot to shoot, but I did like this shot from Henry Cowell today.



And that's it for today.

Oh, one more thing  . . .

I may be changing my signature from 
Life is Good 
to
It's Never Too Late to Live Happily Ever After.

What do you think?

4 comments:

Gaelyn said...

I like the geisha fabric bag you picked out. Don't have an ipad or other stuff to carry, yet.

Nan said...

I like the "happily ever after" Those bags are out of this world! Would love to have one for my notebook. Hopefully, we will get an ipad soon.

Jim and Sandie said...

That is a beautiful bag. Wish I was in the market for one. I like your new signature line. Life is good = definitely but "it's never too late" is so important for us to remember.

Russ Krecklow said...

I'm glad that you found a beautiful bag that was just right for you and your IPAD. Those are incredible for that price. She is a very talented lady! That tree shot needs a Pelican in it, but I guess they don't usually roost in trees, do they?